Sarika’s design vision commended at national awards

Nov 15, 2023

Sarika Dwivedi studied the Diploma of Building Design at TAFE SA

Building designer and TAFE SA graduate Sarika Dwivedi’s talents have been recognised at the national Building Designers Association of Australia (BDAA) Design Excellence Awards.

Sarika’s artistic vision for a toilet block in Victoria Square/Tarndanyangga has received a commendation in the student design category of the national awards with judges impressed by the “striking project that marries design excellence with sustainability”.

“With this design I wanted to show that a toilet block doesn’t have to be an eyesore, it can be an appealing structure,” she says.

Sarika created the design last year as part of her studies in the Diploma of Building Design at TAFE SA and says she enjoyed the challenge of the project which included a brief to create an amenity block that “embraces a bright and bold Mimetic architectural style” which complements its surroundings and integrates sustainability principles.

Inspired by South Australia’s natural environment, the appealing design (pictured below) incorporates the shape of a whale with curved timber elements and a steel sculpture.

However, for Sarika, the most important aspect is the sustainability of the design with the building’s orientation providing natural ventilation and ensuring solar panels capture maximum sunlight.

The judges noted: “This project seamlessly integrates sustainability into its design, featuring rainwater harvesting, connection to the local sewerage system, and solar panels for energy efficiency. By reducing water consumption, minimising waste, and harnessing clean energy sources, it exemplifies a commitment to environmental responsibility and design innovation.”

Sarika says the project was a favourite part of her studies and reminds her of a busy period in her life, with the competing demands of study, work and family responsibilities.

“It was a challenge to do and I loved the result, so I wanted to share it with the design community by entering it in the awards,” she says.

Sarika first studied a Certificate IV in Building Design Drafting at TAFE SA before enrolling in the Diploma of Building Design.

“I had a background in this industry with a Bachelor of Architecture and Masters In Planning, and I wanted to complete the Diploma and by doing so learn more about sustainability in design,” she says.

“I enjoyed my time at TAFE SA at Tonsley, my lecturers were really helpful and we had great access to technology and learning materials.”

Now a business partner/director at SA Building Designers, Sarika’s focus continues to be on sustainability and innovation in the built environment.

“I’m passionate about good design and the positive impact it can have in the community,” she says.

Parkside