Improve your English
Located in modern facilities in the heart of Adelaide, TAFE SA’s English Language Centre (ELC) offers affordable, intensive English language programs tailored to suit your needs.
If you are an international student on a student visa, a working holiday visa or tourist visa, TAFE SA intensive English language courses will develop your English skills for:
- Fun and travel
- Study at TAFE SA or university
- IELTS testing
- Future employment
Importantly, you don’t need to be enrolled in a TAFE SA award course to study English with us.
Which English language course?
We offer four different types of English Language courses:
If you simply wish to improve your English language skills, you can choose to study in any of our four English language classes. Generally, it takes 10 weeks of tuition to improve your IELTS score by half a point. The minimum period you can study for is five weeks.
If you have the specific goal of improving your English for entry to a TAFE South Australia award course, a university bachelor or masters degree, or for an immigration application, please refer to the table below to find out the best course for you and the duration of study required:
Click here to find out more about our English language courses.
Why study English with us?
- Affordable fees
- Small classes and individual attention from highly qualified teachers
- Only government-owned English Language Centre in South Australia
- Flexible start times and program durations, from five to 40 weeks
- Free English conversation classes with students from around the world
- Clear pathways to universities in Adelaide
- Opportunities to sit in on TAFE SA classes
- Access to the TAFE SA library with extensive English language and online resources
Fun and friends
To help our students travel and make friends, we encourage them to join in the events and social activities organised for international students by the TAFE South Australia International Office, as well as events run by organisations such as StudyAdelaide and Multicultural Youth South Australia. These activities include:
- Whale watching
- Free tickets to Australian Rules football
- Karaoke night
- Inter-college Sports Day
- Cuddle a koala at a wildlife park
Multicultural Youth SA works in conjunction with TAFE SA to provide free pickup from the airport, for all newly arrived English Language Centre students.
If you would like to practice your English in and out of the classroom, while also learning more about Aussie culture, TAFE SA can find you a homestay family to live with during your stay in Adelaide. Contact the International department at TAFE SA on + 61 8 8463 5487 for more information.